Новости

History of the Institute

 

Foundation

The main steps of radioengineering training progress in the Middle Ural can be traced on the example of the IRIT-RtF development.

In the Soviet period specialists in automatics and radioengineering were initially trained in Moscow, Leningrad and Nizhniy Novgorod. In the postwar time it was essential to educate such specialists in other regions of the country. Faculties of Radioengineering and Automation emerged in Kharkov, Kiev, Taganrog, Tomsk, Ryazan and other cities. The task of training such specialists arose following from the necessity to transfer industrial factories from the western regions to the Ural region during the Great Patriotic War and was connected with nuclear industry development, which took place in the second half of the 40s. In 1949 along with the foundation of the Physical-Technical Faculty in the Ural Polytechnical Institute the Radiotechnocal Faculty (RtF) was also planned. In May 1951 the director of the Institute A.S. Kachko entrusted the task of the Radiotechnical Faculty creation to its future Dean V.G. Stepanov.

The first step in the task realization for the Faculty was to receive the first intake of students in 1951. As there was no Faculty de facto, the Power Engineering Faculty had to deal with all the arrangements. During the first year the Faculty’s students were formally considered to be power engineering students. On January 18, 1952, Associate Professor, Candidate of engineering sciences Stepanov V.G. was appointed Dean of Radioengineering Faculty of the Ural Polytechnical Institute according to the order of the Polytechnical Institutes Main Board of the USSR Ministry of Higher Education. By the order № 210 of the Ural Polytechnical Institute from February 21, 1952, he was assigned to present the Radiotechnical Faculty  “start-up” project. Thus, the existence of the Radiotechnical Faculty finally began.

Key Dates

2011

The Radiotechnical Institute is renamed the Institute of Radioelectronics and Information Technologies.

2005

Radiotechnical Faculty becomes an Institute.

2000

The Faculty is made up of 1330 students, 10 departments, 189 instructors, including 18 Doctors of Sciences, 107 Candidates of Sciences, five academicians and five corresponding members of various academies of sciences.

1999

The Faculty begins to enroll students for the new specialist degree programmes: “Total Data Security in Automated Control Systems”, “Information-measuring equipment and technologies”. A new Department of Multimedia Technologies is created (Head of Department, Professor, Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences A.N. Krasnovskiy).

1997

The Faculty begins to enroll students for the new specialist degree programmes: “Communication Networks and Switching Systems”, “Mobile Communication Tools”, “IT in Education and Science”, “Consumer

Radio-Electronics” and “Protected Telecommunication Systems”.

1996

A new scientific educational centre “Motorola” is opened at the Department of Radioengineering Manufacturing Technology. It is the first time the Faculty has cooperated with a foreign enterprise.

1995

The Faculty solemnly celebrates the 100th anniversary of invention of the radio.

1992

This is the year of the 40th anniversary of the Faculty. More than 12 000 specialists have graduated from RtF. The Faculty prepares students in seven specialist degree programmes. There are more than 170 PCs used by students for educational and scientific purposes. The Faculty becomes a platform for Yekaterinburg Regional Research Centre of Russian Academy of Engineering Sciences (RAES) and then in 1995 for The Ural Branch of the RAES. Professor, Doctor of Engineering Sciences, Head of the Department of Automation and Technical Systems Control V.G. Lisienko is elected as its chairman.

1988

The Faculty receives its first intake of students for the newly-opened major “Computing Machines, Complexes, Systems and Networks”. At first it is run by the Department of Basic Theory of Radio Engineering (BTRE). Then this major is moved to the Department of Automatics and Telemechanics since Professor, Doctor of Engineering Sciences V.G. Labunets has been appointed Head of the Department, which is further renamed the Department of Automation and Information Technologies.

1985

A radioelectrocommunication problem-solving research laboratory (PRL) is opened at the Department of Radiotechnical Systems. This laboratory is the first independent scientific subdivision of the kind at RtF. Research is devoted to data protection in communication networks. Creation of the radioelectrocommunication PRL proves that the RtF scientists’ achievements over 15-year research period in the field are recognised.

1982

The 30th anniversary of the Faculty. 400 employees work at 9 departments, the computing laboratory and scientific subdivisions. 2973 full-time and part-time students study in five majors. By this time about 10 000 engineers has graduated from the Faculty.

1981

It’s the first time the Faculty has held All-Soviet Union Scientific Technical conference on the subject of “Processing of Local Signals Reflected by Extended Targets”, attracting more than 180 participants from research centres of the biggest cities of the country. At the same time the Faculty hosts a visiting conference of the governmental Committee on Radio Electronics (of the Ministry of higher and secondary specialized education of RSFSR (The Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic)), headed by Professor, Doctor of Engineering Sciences Yu.M. Kazarinov. The organisation of both events proves the Faculty's good name and high prestige.

1977

Doctor of Engineering Sciences, chief designer of Scientific Production Association (SPA) “Automation” N.A. Semihatov (academician of Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS) later) heads the Department of Radio Equipment Manufacturing.

1974

The Faculty sets up a new scientific Radio Altimetry Theory and Technics (RATT-302) research laboratory at the Department of Radio Receiving Devices. It becomes the first research subdivision at the Faculty (apart from students’ design engineering bureau (SDEB-1)).

1972

The Faculty solemnly celebrates its 20th anniversary. 186 academic groups, i.e. 5113 students in five majors, have already graduated from full-time and part-time course programmes. There are nine departments at the Faculty: eight technical and the Department of Numerical Methods and Equations of Mathematical Physics. 1450 students study at the RtF and more than 400 instructors and researchers work there. The Faculty has a separate academic building with laboratories having a total area of 4540 square meters. Many of the professors and students participate in the work of SDEB-1, which is one of the best in the University.

1971

It’s the first time Faculty's graduate has defended a doctoral thesis. Head of the Radio Transmitting Devices Department B.A. Panchenko, who graduated from the “Radio Engineering” major in 1957, becomes the first Doctor of Sciences at the RtF.

1970

The Faculty moves to a new academic building the 6th building of the Ural Polytechnical Institute. A new department of Automated Control Systems is opened. It is headed by Associate Professor, Doctor of Engineering Sciences (later Professor, Doctor of Engineering Sciences) O.P. Sitnikov.

1969

The Faculty starts a new academic course “Automated Control Systems”. A new academic building is opened as well.

1963

It’s the first time engineers have graduated from the “Radioelectric Devises” specialist degree programme. These are additionally admitted students, who came from the Power Engineering and Mechanics Faculties. Diplomas are handed to 91 specialists in engineering.

1962-1963

The 11th academic building has been constructed by 1963. It took one year for students of the Faculty to build it. The leader of the students’ group is B.M. Putintsev - later one of the creators of the UPI telecentre, the head of the Department of Technical Training Resources and the first deputy administrative manager. The students’ group commissar is A.P. Maltsev, who will head the Department of Radiotechnics Theory for more than 20 years later.

1961

The Faculty establishes the Department of Electronic Equipment to train students majoring in a new academic course programme “Radio Electronic Devices”. Associate Professor, Candidate of Engineering Sciences Yu.N. Bolotov heads the Department.

1959-1960

The Faculty receives its first intake of students for the “Radio Electronic Devices” major (now “Radioelectronic Systems”) and the first additional intake: two academic groups moves from the Power Engineering Faculty to the RtF. The Faculty sets up SDEB-1, the first in the Institute and in the whole country.

1957

The first graduation of 82 specialists from the “Radio Engineering and Radio Equipment Manufacturing” course programme. On the order of the Ministry of Defense, the Faculty starts carrying out two large-scale research projects.

1956

The first graduation of students, who entered the Faculty in 1951, including 71 specialists in “Radio Engineering”.

1955

Eight academic groups of “Radio Engineering” are transferred to the recently opened “Radio Engineering and Radio Equipment Manufacturing” major.

Associate Professor, Candidate of Engineering Sciences V.V. Melnikov becomes the Dean of the Faculty, while V.A. Losev heads the Department of Radio Equipment, and the Doctor of Engineering Sciences A.T. Blazhkin heads the Department of Automation and Telemechanics.

1953-1954

The Faculty takes its first steps: there are 560 students, 7 departments and 24 instructors.

The Institute has its first graduates. 15 engineers have graduated from the “Automatics and Telemechanics” course programme. They were transferred from the Power Engineering Faculty to the RtF in 1952.

Associate Professor, Candidate of Engineering Sciences O.P. Sitinikov becomes the Head of the Department of Automation Control Equipment. The Department of Radio Transmitting Devices (headed by A.I. Portnyagin) and the Department of Radio Receiving Devices (headed by N.A. Nekhonov) appear. Thus, the Department of Automatics and Telemechanics begins its work as well as the Department of Radio Equipment (the latter without a head for a while).

1952

There are three departments at the Faculty:

- the Department of Theory of Automatic Processes (headed by Associate Professor, Candidate of Engineering Sciences I.N. Pechorina)

- the Department of Automatic Control Equipment (headed by Associate Professor, Candidate of Engineering Sciences V.G. Stepanov)

- the Department of Radiotechnics Theory (headed by V.P. Shasherin)

There are two hundred first-year students, 50 of them are trained in “Automatics and Telemechanics” major and the rest 150 in “Radio Engineering”.